Meetings & Events Manager
Company: Visit Detroit
Posted on: February 12, 2024
Title: Meeting & Event Manager Position Purpose: Responsible for
the logistical planning and execution of all Customer and Partner
Services events, Partnership Education and Network events such as:
the Annual Partnership Meeting, the Rose Awards Ceremony, Hometown
Tourist Day, Celebrate Services Day, Attendance Builders, and
Services sponsored. This position will also plan and execute
ancillary events related to the Customer and Partners Services
department.Benefits: Visit Detroit offers a selection of benefits
designed with your health and financial wellbeing in mind. We
review our benefit programs each year to ensure we consider the
best combination of benefit coverage, network access and
affordability for employees. In addition to health and welfare
benefits, we have 11 paid company holidays per year, plus 1
floating holiday and opportunities to earn additional time off by
referring new employees. Paid Time Off allotment for new hires
(Sick, Personal and Vacation Combined), is 17 days per year. This
is prorated based on full months projected to work in the calendar
year. We also provide up to 4 percent 401(k) matching contributions
after a minimum 6 month waiting period, 100% vesting upon entry. We
also pay for parking in a covered parking structure just across the
street. Preferred Qualifications:
- 7+ years of event planning experience.
- Hospitality industry experience and CMP designation. Minimum
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Hospitality, business, or
related field or equivalent experience
- 5 - 7 years of experience in event planning.
- Experience supervising the work of contracted service
- Intermediate to advanced skills in computer software.
Proficiency in MS Office programs, including Outlook, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Canva.
- Valid, unrestricted Michigan driver's license. Major Job
- Work with the Vice President, Customer and Partner Service,
Partner Services team, and Convention Services Manager to establish
and execute all events associated with the C&P department.
- Determine and establish tactics, communicate to internal and
external clients, and recommend the most effective tactics and
plans to execute a successful event.
- Coordinate and evaluate the execution of designated events
against stated goals, including establishing themes, managing the
registration process, establishing timelines, contracting with
vendors, supervising execution, and conducting follow-up with
participants to track customer satisfaction and identify
- Work with clients to plan, organize, and execute promised
hosted events in Detroit/Metro-Detroit region.
- Develop seamless working relationships with the Marketing,
Communication, and Sales departments to execute successful
- Negotiate contracts for events with suppliers and vendors.
- Maintain the budgets/reports for all assigned events with the
project owner. Track costs and stay within the established
budgets-process payments for events: In collaboration with finance
team as needed.
- Plan pre-event meetings with participating staff to review
events, roles, and responsibilities.
- Plan post-event meetings with participating staff to discuss
successes and lessons learned.
- Conduct site visits to venues for planning purposes
- Effectively manage the volunteer workforce for events
- Work with the Marketing Department on design elements, event
signage, and other graphics/materials to ensure critical marketing
messages are consistent with the Visit Detroit brand.
- Integrate consistent brand identity messages in all events and
- Work with event suppliers, as needed, in various markets and
interact with clients when confirming travel and accommodation
- Committed to partnering with Visit Detroit in embedding
diversity, equity, and inclusion into company culture and
operations, and actively contributing to creating a welcoming and
inclusive environment for all employees and stakeholders.
- Solicit discounts and complimentary resources from partner
companies to deliver the best quality events at the lowest possible
- Suggest themes, copy, and graphic treatments for event
marketing materials, including invitations, signs, gifts, etc.
- Establish positive relationships with partners and other
vendors. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of function space capabilities, capacities, and
- Ability to establish planning and execution timelines, as well
as itineraries, within a pre-determined schedule.
- Ability to develop creative themes and effectively communicate
them to others.
- Ability to speak well before groups and direct group
- Ability to work independently, as needed.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Willingness and ability to work early mornings, evenings,
weekends and occasionally holidays as required.
- Ability to perform essential functions that typically involved
reading text on a video display monitor and using a keyboard for
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to clearly
express thoughts, ideas, and concepts, verbally and in writing, in
the English language.
- Skilled in organizing, prioritizing, and analyzing multiple
- Ability to think and manage creatively in a fast-paced work
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
with supervisors, peers, colleagues, and external
- Maintains a positive and professional work attitude,
appearance, and behavior even in the most demanding situation.
- Ability to work effectively in both remote and in-person work
environment; proficient using video conferencing software and other
remote work tools. Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Office work involves extended periods of sitting or working at
a desk and/or utilizing repetitive typing motions on a computer or
- Ability to perform extensive standing and/or walking for
work-related assignments and events.
- Occasional travel requirements as related to business
- Ability to lift push, and or carry up to 40lbs. occasionally
The above is intended to describe the general content of and
requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be
construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or
requirements and does not imply a contract.
Keywords: Visit Detroit, Detroit , Meetings & Events Manager, Accounting, Auditing , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!