Company: Trinity Health - IHA
Posted on: May 27, 2023
This position is responsible for overseeing specified areas of the
office in collaboration with the Practice Manager. Primary
responsibilities include ensuring patients receive friendly,
efficient service and maintaining efficient flow of the overall
office and working with other supervisors to achieve operational
goals as defined by the practice leadership. This position may
supervise Medical Reception, Medical Records and may include
Clinical Staff, ensuring an effective team environment. This
position typically works in an environment where a Practice Manager
oversees multiple office locations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for ensuring patients receive friendly, efficient
service, supervising the medical reception staff, planning and
implementing operational processes of the front desk department,
and working with other managers in the office to achieve the
- Manages more complex patient reception/medical records problems
or insurance issues.
- Manages the medical records and reception staff and, at some
locations, clinical staff to ensure an effective team environment.
Supervises day-to-day operations of assigned areas to ensure
efficient, fiscally responsible and customer-responsive procedures
and operations. Is approachable and welcomes opportunity to provide
feedback to staff and problem resolution to patients.
- Oversees tasks that optimize workflow; provides suggestions to
continually improve processes and the customer experience.
- Communicates thoroughly and promptly with office leadership,
providers, triage and staff regarding all issues impacting
day-to-day operations; develop clinical protocols as needed to
ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Maintains regular schedules for the reception and medical
records staff; updates employee schedules and PTO in IHA's
electronic timekeeping system; in conjunction with the Practice
Manager approves or declines reception and medical records PTO
- Effectively organizes training materials for new employees and
keeps materials up to date with any changes in procedures.
- Keeps department staff informed on new guidelines and
information that is required to do their jobs.
- Oversees the ordering and maintenance of office supplies for
the front office.
- In conjunction with the Practice Manager, hires and trains
department staff as well as conducts employee performance reviews
and ongoing coaching for department staff; documents employee
interactions and resolves patient and staff issues.
- Assists in the development and oversight of the office
- Manages clerical audits, internal and external, for the
- Maintains awareness of provider schedules and facilitates the
efficiency of scheduling through training and monitoring of the
- Provides feedback to staff when needed and maintains knowledge
of all office services, billing, and managed care department basic
- In conjunction with the Practice Manager, ensures that Patient
Satisfaction survey process is administered according to
established procedures, coordinates the collection of required
number of surveys for each provider by ensuring that reception
staff are distributing surveys according to instruction.
- Actively supports the front office functions by performing all
duties of a Medical Receptionist on a regular basis. Answers
telephone, takes and relays accurate messages, schedules and
- Greets all individuals arriving at the office courteously, and
assists with ensuring that their needs are met. Obtains necessary
patient registration information, verifies patient insurance
eligibility prepares charts for visits in accordance with IHA
protocols, and notifies clinical staff of patient. Completes
patient encounter forms and collects payments and may posts charges
to billing system. Retrieves and files EMR/paper charts and
- Attends monthly Reception Leadership meetings, provides updates
to staff and leadership through regularly scheduled staff
- Supports other offices, attends required meetings and training,
and participates in committees as requested.
- Assumes additional duties as required.
- Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work
environment for staff, patients and family members by supporting
the mission and values of both IHA and Trinity Health.
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of the office
reception and medical records team.
- Successfully completes IHA's "The Customer" training and
adheres to IHA's standard of promptly providing a high level of
service and respect to internal or external customers.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards,
policies and procedures.
- Maintains complete knowledge of office services and in the use
of all relevant office equipment, computer and manual systems.
- Maintains strict patient and employee confidentiality in
compliance with IHA and HIPAA guidelines.
- Serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional ability and
willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities.
Embraces new ideas and respects cultural differences.
- Uses resources efficiently.
- If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development
- maintains appropriate licensure/certification and continuing
education credentials, participates in available learning
Performance that meets or exceeds IHA CARES Values expectation as
outlined in IHA Performance Review document, relative to
EDUCATION: High School graduate or equivalent with applicable
college coursework or seminars in management and supervision.
Prefer Associate's or Bachelor's degree in relevant field
(Management, Healthcare Administration, etc.)
CREDENTIALS/LICENSURE: Office Coordinators who are training Medical
Assistant staff must be credentialed as a Medical Assistant through
one of the following certifying agencies:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA)
- American Medical Technologists (RMA)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA)
- National Healthcareer Association (CCMA)
- National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA)
- American Medical Certification Association (CMAC)
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 5 years' experience working in a
Medical Office, with Reception or Cross-Trained Medical Assisting
duties required. Prior supervisory experience strongly
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS):
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and supervise an
office staff with the general oversight of the Practice
- Ability to effectively supervise and manage functional area
within the Medical Office, providing feedback and guidance to staff
and support more complex patient reception/medical records problems
or insurance issues.
- Knowledge of patient care procedures and organizational
policies related to position responsibilities.
- Proficient/knowledgeable in medical terminology.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations needed during the
course of performing basic job duties.
- Proficient in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based
computer system, including but not limited to, electronic medical
records, EPIC, email, e-learning, intranet, Microsoft Word and
Excel, and computer navigation. Ability to use other software as
required while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal
forms, including proper phone etiquette. Ability to speak before
groups of people, either in-person or virtual.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment;
courteous and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to work effectively with various levels of
organizational members and diverse populations including IHA staff,
providers, family members, insurance carriers, vendors, external
customers and community groups.
- Ability to cross-train in other areas of practice in order to
achieve smooth flow of all operations.
- Good organizational and time management skills to effectively
juggle multiple priorities and time constraints.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and problem-solving skills,
specifically as it relates to resolving staffing and complex
patient reception/medical records problems or insurance
- Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a
- Knowledge of the compliance aspects of clinical care and
patient privacy and best practices in medical office
- Ability to travel to other office/practice sites and meeting
and training locations.
- Successful completion of IHA competency-based program within
introductory and training period.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS:
- Physical activity that often requires keyboarding, phone work
- Physical activity that often requires extensive time working on
- Physical activity that often requires sitting, walking,
standing, bending, stooping, reaching, climbing, kneeling and/or
- Physical activity that sometimes requires lifting, pushing
and/or pulling up to 30 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth
perception, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust and
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier,
telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
- Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the
telephone or face to face for long periods of time in English.
MINIMUM ENVIRONMENTAL EXPECTATIONS:
This job operates in a medical facility and requires regular
walking to various locations around the hospital/clinic. Employees
will be working where there is patient care equipment. Hazardous
materials, including bloodborne pathogens and bodily fluids are
also present. Exposure to sharps, x-rays, patients' conditions and
some unpleasant sights, smells and contagious diseases is possible.
This position requires significant interaction with people (many of
whom are scared, hurt and/or ill) which can be stressful and result
in competing priorities.
Keywords: Trinity Health - IHA, Detroit , Office Coordinator, Administration, Clerical , Ypsilanti, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...