Head Start Teacher
Company: Starfish Family Services
Posted on: November 26, 2022
POSITION SUMMARY:The Head Start Teacher plans and implements a
quality program of educational activities for pre-school children
that encourages growth and development in a variety of areas. - The
Teacher also promotes a cooperative, constructive relationship with
families to ensure the child's growth/development meets -full
potential. -EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree in early childhood education or child
- Bachelor's Degree in early childhood education or child
- Previous professional experience working with preschool-aged
children preferred -COMPTENCIES AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to develop and implement classroom curriculum that
encourages language, cognitive, social, emotional, and physical
development of children.
- Ability to interact with children in a warm, nurturing
- Must have current first-aid -and CPR training. -
- Ability to work with children with developmental delays or
- Knowledge of or ability to learn to conduct developmental
screenings and assessments of children.
- Working knowledge of child development, age appropriate
behaviors, common childhood behavior challenges and appropriate
- Knowledge of the practices of early childhood teaching.
- Ability to intervene with children's behaviors in a
non-punitive and supportive manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with young children and
- Ability to develop and implement individual learning -plans for
- Ability to implement individual education plans (IEP) and
individual family service plans (IFSP) for children with
disabilities. - -DUTIES AND RESPONBILITES:
- Responsible for ensuring that daily activities and interactions
reflect the mission and goals of the program.
- Attend on-going trainings/workshops on the HighScope Curriculum
and Child -Observation Record (COR). Implement strategies learned
from trainings/workshops attended.
- Implement curriculum activities, strategies, learning
environment, and interactions in accordance to the PQA.
- Plan and implement a program of educational activities for
children, including writing a weekly lesson plan that specifies a
daily schedule, toward the achievement of specific curriculum goals
as written in education component plan.
- Create a clean, safe classroom environment that is conducive to
learning, promoting social relationships.
- Evaluate the accomplishments of the children on a regular basis
and reports progress to parents/guardians.
- Plan and implement an individual learning -plan for each child
in the classroom. Implement IEP and IFSP goals as part of the
- Plan and implement daily outdoor activities that develop gross
motor skills and promote exploration and social relationships.
- Develop curriculum activities that reflect the
ethnic/multi-cultural makeup of the community.
- Maintain compliance with child-care licensing and HHS
- Monitor and work in conjunction with co-teacher to provide a
- Assists in ensuring that all health and developmental
screenings are up-to-date and complete.
- Promotes parent-child bonding and nurtures parent-child
relationships. Assist in facilitating parent education workshops as
- Provide, document and report all program activities and
interactions as required by contract, licensing, and programmatic
- Implement classroom health, dental, and nutrition performance
standards and document in weekly lesson plans.
- Coordinate mealtime service, including interacting with
children and accurate CACFP record keeping.
- Provide children -with experiences that support their full
range of developmental and socio-emotional needs.
- Provide activities that foster development of a positive
self-image; address physical and mental health needs of children
and document in daily lesson plans. -WHAT STARFISH HAS TO OFFER...
- Full medical, dental, prescription, and vision coverage for
- Long-term disability and short-term disability coverage -
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts -
- Comprehensive?Employee Assistance -Program? -
- Retirement Plan with Employer Matching
- Paid Parental Leave -
- ?Creativity and Innovation supported and encouraged -
- On-the-job training and emphasis on Professional
- Agency sponsored?Reflective Supervision -
- Self-Care and Employee Wellness Inspired Workplace -
- Agency sponsored Head Space account? -
- Trauma-Informed Workplace -
- 15 PTO days per year, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays and
mental health days -
- Focus on partnering with families to help them thrive -
- Active Diversity, -Equity -and Inclusion Committee -
- Fulfillment?and the knowledge of having made an impact on
someone's life -Starfish Family Services is an equal opportunity
employer. It is the policy of SFS not to discriminate in its
employment and personnel practices because of a person's race,
color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight,
marital status, disability or any other basis protected by federal,
state, or other applicable law.
Keywords: Starfish Family Services, Detroit , Head Start Teacher, Education / Teaching , Inkster, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!