Sr. Closures Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Role SummaryAt Rivian, the Closures- Mechanical Design Engineer
is a critical role as they are the single point of contact for
everything related to their components. This means you will be the
"CEO" of your area of responsibility with a "cradle to grave"
approach to design & development, testing & launch, and commercial
& timing activities.Responsibilities
- Lead collaborative development of closure's components and
systems including interface with body engineering, studio design,
quality, and customer experience teams.
- Responsible for component release for closure's components and
systems throughout program lifecycle, including concept design,
supplier engagement, BOM management, systems requirements,
simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and
- Manage cost and weight for closure's components and systems
from initial engineering estimates, through supplier quotes.
Ensuring accurate forecasting and implementation plans throughout
- Developing and managing your system, subsystem, and component
part information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6
- Be a champion of 1st principles design methodology in the body
closures systems and across the entire vehicle.
- Engage in debate and represent the closures department as a
stakeholder during all body design reviews.
- Mentor and help develop other less experienced engineers.
- Coordinate supplier meetings, track, investigate and resolve
issues related to design.Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in an engineering discipline (Master's
degree and significant experience is a plus) and 3+ years'
experience in automotive closures development or equivalent
- Understanding of product requirements and closures features to
deliver world class customer experience in one of the following
- Structures - Hoods, Doors, Tailgate - preferably lightweight
systems (aluminum or composite) with knowledge of hinges and
- Seals - Dynamic Sealing, Glass Runs, Finishers.
- Mechanisms - Handles, Latches, Actuators, Regulators.
- A strong understanding of the 1st principle physics of a
closures system - the loads, forces, and overall function of the
system, and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and
customer experience involved with these systems.
- Ability to self-direct, self-managing issues to closure
involving all necessary teams, and adapt quickly to program
- CAD design experience for closures systems, mechanisms,
structures, or related vehicle components. Catia V6 experience
preferred but not required.
- Experience on leverage and usage of CAE results, CAE
operational knowledge is a plus.
- Knowledge of an automotive design and development process,
system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level
- Ability to deliver under pressure and manage component design &
development within cost, weight, and timing constraints.
- Willingness to travel to suppliers, manufacturing, and testing
facilities as required throughout product development.
Keywords: Rivian, Detroit , Sr. Closures Mechanical Design Engineer, Engineering , Plymouth, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!