Company: Aloft Detroit at The David Whitney
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Aloft Detroit at The David Whitney - Detroit, MI Position Type
Full Time Salary Range Undisclosed Travel Percentage Negligible Job
Shift Undisclosed Job Category Hospitality - Hotel Description
POSITION PURPOSE Provide the leadership expertise that ensures the
effective and efficient operation of the hotel, including, but not
limited to, the quality and legal defensibility of services
provided, and the achievement of stated operational goals and
profitability objectives. Manage the operations of the hotel in
order to maximize profitability and to ensure superior guest
service and product quality. Special emphasis should be directed to
the RevPAR and EBITDA. ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, through hands-on approach with supervisory and front line
staff, the effective management of the Rooms, Food & Beverage and
Engineering functional areas to maximize financial performance
while upholding quality standards and maximizing levels of guest
- Direct the maximization of room revenue by anticipation of
market shifts, development and monitoring of annual business and
marketing plans, and participating in appropriate marketing
- Measure the effectiveness of marketing plans and yield
management efforts to maximize the number of market segments needed
and to diversify the sources of revenues.
- Train and motivate Staff Members to provide services to guests
which meet the companys standards of quality. Encourage
productivity and promote team spirit throughout the respective
- Ensure the development of a realistic and attainable strategic
business plan that defines operational goals and profitability
- Coordinate capital improvement projects to maintain/upgrade
quality standards and property image, and to protect assets from
neglect, damage or deterioration.
- Establish and oversee maintenance of a proactive Staff Services
department to ensure a productive, participative, and comfortable
work environment in which all staff members are valued and treated
lawfully and consistently, and to ensure compliance with all local,
and federal employment and labor laws and regulations. Directly
facilitate open staff member communications to discern grievances
and to respond to these grievances in all appropriate manners
including redressing those meriting correction.
- Manage and provide counsel to sales, catering and revenue
management staff. Actively participate in sales presentations,
property tours and customer meetings.
- Monitor and provide timely feedback, counseling, and
performance evaluations to staff.
- Mobilize supervisory staff to best accomplish day to day
- Recruit and help develop property staff.
- All other duties as assigned by Azul Vice President and
corporate staff and ownership. OTHER
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may
be established from time to time, is essential to the successful
performance of this position
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, Hotel
Managers may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the
business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all
scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
- Upon employment, all Hotel Managers are required to fully
comply with Azul Hospitality Group and brand regulations for the
safe and effective operation of the hotel facilities. Staff Members
who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to
disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment
- Environmental conditions are inside, a job is considered inside
if staff spends approximately 75 percent or more of the time
inside. Temperature is moderate and controlled by resort
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to four (4) hours per day.
Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day.
Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to
four (4) hours in length.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between
functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and
to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up
to 250 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking,
repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing
ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of
communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual
functions being those of near and color vision and depth
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill
cleaning tasks occasionally.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary
- Ability to work primarily with fingers to pick, pinch, type and
carry out substantial movements (motions) of the wrists and hands
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office
equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine,
multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines,
photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
SUPPORTIVE FUNCTIONS In addition to performance of the essential
functions, this position may be required to perform a combination
of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time
performing each function to be solely determined by the manager
based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Develop and maintain rapport with key community contacts to
ensure a visible presence in the community.
- Be a leader and a role model to all staff members.
- Support Development activities. SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS
AND ABILITIES The individual must possess the following knowledge,
skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he
or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or
without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of
knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary
language used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and
- Considerable knowledge of complex mathematical calculations and
computer accounting programs. Budgetary analysis capabilities
- Extensive knowledge of the hotel, its services and
- Must have excellent leadership capability and customer
relations skills. Most tasks are performed in a team environment
with the staff member acting as a team leader. There is minimal
- Must be detail oriented with outstanding organizational and
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well
as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure
proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external
customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact
and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing
equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety
and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including,
but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local
analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act,
Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
EXEMPT POSITION Exempt Staff Members are not covered by the
overtime provisions and do not receive overtime pay. Exempt Staff
members are paid a fixed salary that is intended to cover all of
the compensation to which they are entitled. EDUCATION Bachelor
Degree required, preferably in Hotel/Restaurant or Business
Administration, or equivalent education/experience required.
EXPERIENCE Minimum of six years hotel management experience
required, including two years in a similar capacity. LICENSES OR
CERTIFICATIONS Ability to provide and maintain a valid drivers
license as the position may require the operation of motorized and
electric vehicles. GROOMING All Staff Members must maintain a neat,
clean and well-groomed appearance per Azul Hospitality standards.
Refer to the property specific required grooming and uniform
standards policy. ATTENDANCE Regular attendance in conformance with
the standards, which may be established by Azul Hospitality, from
time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this
position. Staff with irregular attendance / tardiness will be
subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of
employment. Upon employment, all staff is required to fully comply
with Azul Hospitality rules and regulations for the safe and
effective operation of the hotels facilities. Staff members who
violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary
action, up to and including termination of employment. Due to the
cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, staff members may be
required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of
the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training
sessions and meetings is required. This job description is not an
exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a staff
member in this position may be asked to perform from time to
Keywords: Aloft Detroit at The David Whitney, Detroit , General Manager, Executive , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!