Executive Director - LISC Detroit
Posted on: April 10, 2021
THE ORGANIZATION: What We DoWith residents and partners, LISC
forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across
America - great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise
families. Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and
credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community
infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational
mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations
to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes
that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being. Over the last
40+ years, LISC and its affiliates have invested over $20 billion
in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility,
community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment
and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize
underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC's
reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 37 markets
with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Visit us at
SummaryLISC seeks an experienced and dynamic leader for the
Executive Director position in its Detroit office. This is a key
position for LISC, as the Detroit office has become the epicenter
for engaging the rebuilding of the community development sector in
impact investing in the region. Detroit LISC recently launched
three innovative funds with public municipalities as its anchor
investors, including the Detroit Housing for the Future Fund, and
two home repair improvement programs. The Executive Director will
provide the strategic direction and guidance for all aspects of
LISC's program in the metro Detroit region. The successful
candidate will have excellent leadership, collaboration,
communication, and entrepreneurial skills along with an
understanding of the importance of public and private sector
engagement in community revitalization efforts. The position
requires a strong commitment to the role of community-based
non-profit organizations as agents of positive community change as
well as an understanding of, and appreciation for, other key public
and private partners who can offer additional resources to the work
of community development in the region. The ideal candidate will
have the experience to develop and lead LISC Detroit's investment
strategies. The ED is responsible for raising capital and resources
locally that are leveraged by National LISC's support. They will
also have demonstrated experience in shaping real estate projects
and growing organizational capacity. The ideal candidate will be
able to demonstrate cultural competency working with diversified
communities, and a strong commitment to diversity, equity,
inclusion and justice in their work. Program/Community Development
- Lead strategy formation and implement for Detroit LISC,
consistent with LISC's organizational three-year strategic
framework and diversity, equity, inclusion and justice values.
- Assist in engaging a wide variety of community partners to help
bring holistic and integrated services to targeted neighborhoods
with local government, state agencies, other private and
quasi-public financial institutions and intermediaries, advocacy
groups, and community based organizations.
- Oversee and monitor LISC's role in the Partnerships for the
Detroit for the Future Fund and other housing repair programs.
Expand and develop a regional economic development program beyond
Financial Opportunity Centers and small business resources.
- Promote effective community development strategies to attract
resources to targeted disinvested populations and neighborhoods in
the Detroit region. Public Policy and Advocacy
- Provide leadership on housing and community development policy
issues in the Detroit area. Advocate on behalf of LISC and the
policy networks at the local, state and federal levels to secure
the tools necessary to advance a comprehensive redevelopment
- Identify and cultivate resources from corporate, foundation and
other prospective donor sectors who share an interest in community
- Work with the Local Advisory Board (LAB) to raise sufficient
funds annually to finance Detroit LISC program activities and
projects. Leadership and Management
- Manage a staff and the LAB members to carry out LISC's strategy
and operate its programs.
- Recruit and maintain diverse Detroit LISC staff. Attend to
continuous staff development and talent cultivation, and maintain
an inclusive and empowering work environment.
- Identify and cultivate leadership from key corporate,
foundation and other prospective donor sectors who share an
interest in community development and are interested in serving on
Build and maintain positive relationships with national LISC
- Participate in national LISC leadership structure and
- Bring visibility to local innovations and programs within the
national LISC structure.
- Maximize the use of National LISC resources and expertise in
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, real estate or related
fields. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum ten (10) years senior level experience in community
development, real estate, capital development and community
- Experience in shaping affordable housing through development or
- Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain philanthropic
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including
experience speaking publicly in diverse forums.
- Demonstrated management experience, including staff
development, financial management, and office administration.
Collaborative leadership style.
- Demonstrated track record in providing leadership for the
development and implementation of strategic vision.
- Ability to establish priorities that align with a strategic
plan and manage agendas and programs effectively.
- Knowledge, understanding of, and experience in community
development strategies, including working knowledge of real estate
related resource and capital development strategies utilized in
real estate and community revitalization efforts.
- Knowledge of policy in Detroit and Michigan.
- Fluency using and understanding data to inform decision making.
LISC offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Some
domestic travel is required. To apply, please send a cover letter
and resume via email. We thank all applicants for their interest,
however only those candidates selected for interviews will be
contacted. (No phone calls please) LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
- COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE
Keywords: Lisc, Detroit , Executive Director - LISC Detroit, Executive , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!