Director, Lead Data Scientist
Company: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
Posted on: January 27, 2023
What if you could go to work every day knowing that you're
helping make the health care system better for patients? And that
the work that you do will lead to lower health care costs and
better health outcomes? - -At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan,
the team in the Analytics Center of Excellence -works to do just
that. - Are you the -right data science leader to join us in this
What this role is all about: -Leading and mentoring talented teams
of analysts, data scientists -and data science leaders in the
execution of advanced analytics through data sourcing, modeling
-and visualization from complex and high volume datasets to support
business cases. You'll own the Analytics Center of Excellence
(ACoE) -advanced analytics deliverables across a wide range of use
cases and business domains, including -the acquisition,
manipulation and presentation of data through data mining,
programming, machine learning, algorithms -and/or statistical
What you'll do:
- Lead the successful design, development, and implementation of
advanced analytics through data mining, machine learning, and
descriptive and/or predictive model building using state of the art
analytics software, e.g., Python. Produce statistical analyses and
data visualizations using tools such as Tableau. Communicate
analytic insights to business stakeholders and technical team leads
to ensure models are well understood.
- Provide thought leadership on a variety of ACoE initiatives
including mentoring the data science staff and engage in reviewing
code and other deliverables for additional ACoE projects. Provide
leadership, coaching and development to data science leaders and
analysts; creating opportunities for continued development and
growth across the data science staff.
- Scope advanced analytics projects, generate additional
hypotheses and optimize business objectives through leading the
data science staff in data mining techniques that discover data
patterns, generate insights, and derive inferences that generates
- Manage and prioritize project and resource allocation across
several teams of Data Scientists; build the strategy and approach
to build assets that can be utilized in a variety of contexts to
deliver more robust solutions in a more streamlined manner. Develop
implement, monitor, and update data science strategies to create
more performant models while creating repeatable, consistent highly
efficient model building approach and processes.
- Identify powerful, creative, and innovative analytics solutions
for a range business problems; connect concepts, techniques, and
principles across use cases to optimize ACoE efforts and improve
quality of analytics assets.
- Partner with leaders across the enterprise to create vision for
advanced analytics in their respective areas, connect business unit
leaders to create synergies across advanced analytics driven
projects and programs, and maintain partnerships to continue
building advanced analytics solutions in their areas.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What you bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Data Science, Statistics,
Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Operations Research or
related field is required. Master's or PhD in related field is
- A minimum of eight (8) years of related work experience is
- A minimum of two (2) years of leading an advanced analytics
team is required.
- Previous experience programing (at least one language) is
- Expert knowledge in mining and visualizing data is
- Expert knowledge of building advanced analytics assets
including machine learning algorithms, e.g. logistic regression,
random forests, gradient boosting machines, etc. is
- Expert knowledge of non-traditional machine learning
techniques, e.g. deep learning architectures, reinforcement
learning, optimization theory, etc. is required.
- Advanced knowledge in creating advanced data structures for
advanced analytics solutions is required.
- Expert knowledge around the diagnostic measures to evaluate
advanced analytics models is required.
- Expert ability in leading the development of individual
components and overall advanced analytics solution is
- Expert foundational knowledge in mathematics and algorithm
design is required.
- Expert knowledge in using various analytical software to write
and implement algorithms is required.
- Advanced knowledge around big data platforms and best software
practices is required.
- Presenting findings to business stakeholders is
- Synthesize conversations with business stakeholders to
determine project direction is required.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is
- Ability to clearly communicate findings to a variety of
audiences is required.
- Strong research background to ensure data science team
continues to follow best practices is required.
- Ability to craft strategic direction of data science
capabilities and approaches is required.
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to lead multiple
teams of data scientists.
- Ability to create, implement, and deploy data science
strategies that yield more performant models while creating
efficiencies and consistencies across the teams is
- Ability to create culture of learning and continued education
and excellence is required.
- Ability to create opportunities for personal development and
career growth for Data Science leaders and analysts is
Keywords: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Detroit , Director, Lead Data Scientist, Executive , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!