Senior Category Manager
Posted on: February 12, 2024
Tenneco is one of the world's leading designer, manufacturers
and marketers of automotive products for original equipment and
aftermarket customers, with approximately 78.000 team members
working at more than 300 sites worldwide. Through our four business
groups, Motorparts, Ride Performance, Clean Air and Powertrain,
Tenneco is driving advancements in global mobility by delivering
technology solutions for diversified global markets, including
light vehicle, commercial truck, off-highway, industrial,
motorsport and the aftermarket.
This position is responsible for leading value generation,
sourcing, and profitability improvement initiatives to optimize
indirect and corporate spend. Close interaction and coordination
with internal partners and external suppliers is required. Success
will be measured on spend addressed, savings achieved, and working
capital impact. The central challenge of the position is to capture
value from indirect spend categories while meeting key business
objectives such as service, quality, timing, and security of
supply. The position may be based in Northville, MI and reports
directly to the Executive Director, Indirect Procurement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Help to drive corporate indirect procurement and profit
improvement, while delivering the following to the business:
- Category Planning:
- Work with corporate team, business units, and regional
stakeholders to prioritize an evolving portfolio of high-value
process improvement and sourcing initiatives.
- Serve as a full partner to the business in evaluating and
challenging the status quo to surface value opportunities.
- Lead the aggregation, normalization, and analysis of spend data
to identify potential value opportunities.
- Ensure proper sequencing and business support for value capture
- Sourcing and Contracting:
- Drive sourcing projects emerging from category planning.
- Define goals, including roles and responsibilities of
- Incorporate business requirements into sourcing plans and RFP
- Manage the planning and launch of RFx events, leveraging
eSourcing tools as appropriate.
- Enhance competition by leveraging spend and qualified new
- Leverage market trends and intelligence to drive value and
provide guidance to stakeholders and businesses.
- Coordinate and lead negotiations; help stakeholders understand
trade-offs and benefits of negotiation strategies/outcomes.
- Develop global/regional contracts that are commercially sound
and provide optimum protection of company assets. Develop
comprehensive implementation with stakeholders and end users.
- Quantify and report both identified and implemented sourcing
- Process Improvement and Strategy Development:
- Identify and capture profit improvement opportunities beyond
leveraged sourcing, e.g., demand management opportunities, insource
versus outsource decisions, efficiencies in the company's
comprehensive supply chain, and/or other strategic and operational
- Ensure appropriate cross-functional partnering on process
- Track and work with corporate finance to report results for
identified projects and when applicable, work with other functions
across company to replicate projects with positive results.
- Supplier Relationship Management:
- Foster relationships with suppliers to create short-term and
long-term value for the company.
- Lead global business reviews with strategic suppliers to ensure
performance against contracted obligations and business unit
- Anticipate and minimize performance issues via use of key
performance indicators (KPIs).
- When performance issues emerge, identify root causes and drive
for efficient resolution of issues at hand by working across both
internal and external stakeholders.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in business, engineering, or related
field. MBA or other advance degree preferred
Experience: Minimum of 5 years of experience in Supply Chain
Management, Procurement, or similar roles.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills (strong
background in data collection & analysis is a must have) to drive
fact-based decision making.
- In-depth experience with world-class strategic sourcing and
category management practices, including e-Sourcing.
- Self-confidence and clarity of expression to lead discussions
with internal executive audiences, and challenge current
- Hands-on experience leading multi-regional or global
- Proficient in relevant supply chain and business software, such
as SAP and ERP programs.
- Experience managing indirect spend categories using multi-step
strategic sourcing processes, especially Facility Services and
Supply, MRO, and Capital Equipment, .
- Track record of managing change through influence; capable of
driving major commercial decisions across a diverse set of internal
- Expert-level financial and analytical skills; embraces
fact-based decision making; naturally seeks to leverage and/or
integrate market data, spend analytics, and cost modeling.
- Strong project management skills, including stakeholder,
timeline, and meeting management skills.
- Strong negotiation skills; expert understanding of terms,
conditions, and contracting techniques for managing risk.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and
presentation skills; comfortable and credible with both internal
stakeholders and external audiences.
- Able to work up, down, and across a large organization;
connects at all levels, i.e., operations, management,
- A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding and proactive individual;
able to motivate him/herself and others; easily accepts
constructive input from others.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated
against on the basis of disability.
Keywords: Tenneco, Detroit , Senior Category Manager, Executive , Northville, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!