Cardiothoracic Assistant (RNFA) - Cardiac Surgery
Posted on: February 15, 2019
We Are Hiring Title: Cardiothoracic AssistantCity, State: Detroit,MILocation: Ascension St. John Hospital - 34030Department: IP Surgery Cardiac CTOR 001Additional Job Details: Full-Time,Rotating, 40 hours,Weekly, Variable hours, on call required. Why Join Ascension? Ascension Michigan is a member of Ascension Health, the largest not-for-profit Catholic Health system in the United States.Our Mission, Vision and Values: Ascension Michigan, as a Catholic health ministry, is committed to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals in the communities we serve, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable. Our Values: We are called to: Service of the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, Wisdom, Creativity and Dedication Our Vision: Our passion for healing calls us to cultivate trust, advocate wellness, and transform healthcare. What You Will Do Summary:The Cardiothoracic Assistant provides direct assistance to surgeons during surgical procedures. Responsibilities:
- Positions patient to give best exposure for surgical procedure, using stabilizing equipment when necessary, while maximizing patient comfort and safety.
- Provides visualization of the operative site using appropriate method, including manipulation of tissue and materials, retraction, sponging, suctioning and irrigation.
- Utilizes appropriate technique to achieve temporary and permanent hemostasis.
- Assists with body plane closure, application of wound dressings and securing of drainage systems.
- Promotes and maintains a professional relationship with physicians, patients, family members, and other staff. Anticipates and responds to needs of others providing assistance in a courteous manner. Able to perform in emergent or stressful situation.
- Utilizes nursing practice assessment skills to evaluate the patient pre-operatively. Assesses patient's vascular status and conduit availability. Integrates knowledge of the cardiovascular system to develop plan of care and collaborates with surgeon to determine quality and length of conduit needed for bypass procedure. Responsible for the initiation, and updating of the cardio thoracic surgery patient database. When able, reinforces patient and family teaching regarding disease process and the planned intervention.
- Utilizes assisting skills in the operating room under the supervision of the Cardiothoracic surgeons. Prepares and positions patients, assists with cardiothoracic procedures, including cutting tissue, harvesting conduit and wound closure. Qualifications Licenses/Certifications/Registration:
- Required Credential(s):
- Certification specializing in Advanced Cardio Life Support obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Completion of an AORN accredited Registered Nurse First Assistant course required within 36 months of hire.
- Valid RN license from the state of Michigan required.Education:
- Bachelor of Science
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing required Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing required Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred Work Experience:
- 1 year of operating room, open heart surgery experience preferred.
- 1 year of operating room, open heart surgery experience preferred.Equal Employment Opportunity St. John Providence Health System is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster: M/F/Disabled/Vet EEO is the Law Poster Supplement Reasonable AccommodationSt. John Providence Health System provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: . Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within St. John Providence Health System will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.Thank you for considering a career with St. John Providence Health System. Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.E-Verify Statement St. John Providence Health System participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information. E -Verify (link to E-verify site)
Keywords: Ascension, Detroit , Cardiothoracic Assistant (RNFA) - Cardiac Surgery, Healthcare , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!