Principal Show Programmer
Company: Walt Disney Imagineering
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Show Programmers facilitate development of animation for
Audio-Animatronics figures, animated props, or ride systems by
programming intricately controlled themed attraction sequences,
and/or integrate show control systems with rides,
Audio-Animatronics, and other show elements such as special
effects, audio/video, show lighting, etc. These highly technical
positions require strong creative intuition and the ability to
collaborate closely with Creative, Engineering, Ride,
Manufacturing, Media Production, and Theme Park Maintenance teams.
A Show Programmer's work can fall into one, or more, of four
- Audio-Animatronics Figure Animation Developing character
animations for Audio-Animatronics figures and animated props.
- Ride Animation Developing animations for free-ranging vehicles,
motion base platforms, and other programmable ride systems.
- Figure Programming Developing digital Audio-Animatronics
animation rigs and configuring Audio-Animatronics figures and Show
Action Equipment for safe operation.
- Show Sequence Programming Integrating Show Control systems with
rides, Audio-Animatronics, and other show elements such as special
effects, audio/video, projection, show lighting, etc. A successful
Show Programming candidate must demonstrate exceptional skills in
one or more of the fore mentioned areas. Responsibilities :
- Oversee a figure show programming team through all phases of
engineering design, production, installation, testing, and
documentation while partnering with the show animators and creative
team to ensure the optimal creative performance and safety
requirements of the Audio-Animatronics figures.
- Developing digital Audio-Animatronics animation rigs and
configuring Audio-Animatronics figures and Show Action Equipment
for safe operation.
- Assist in creating, debugging, and organizing
Audio-Animatronics digital assets (character sheets, animation
data, rigs, ride paths, shots, and/or models).
- Integrating Show Control systems with rides, Audio-Animatronics
figures, and other show elements such as special effects,
audio/video, projection, show lighting, etc.
- Pipeline and animation process support and asset
- Figure Programming process development support and
- Partner with Engineering and Creative teams to configure and
program Audio-Animatronics figures and Show Action Equipment to
conform to safety requirements and to meet creative intent.
- Document and archive all attraction show data created by the
Show Programming department.
- Tool development and maintenance.
- Lead and mentor less experienced show programmers with the
tools and skillset to grow within the department
- Support show programming management in future casting and tool
sets used across multiple projects
- Develop processes and pipeline with partnering groups to be
used across projects Basic Qualifications :
- Familiar with maintaining and creating rigs for CG character
- Able to provide technical support for computer graphic
- Desired software knowledge/familiarity among: Maya and/or
Motion Builder, Adobe Creative Suite, and Shotgun
- Able to communicate (verbally and in writing) clearly and
concisely, regularly keeping stakeholders informed of status,
risks, and issues.
- Able to function in a dynamic work environment, managing
multiple project activities.
- Able to work with limited supervision and to integrate inputs
from many individual team members.
- Be a creative problem solver and demonstrate comfort with
- Have a valid passport and willing to travel domestically or
internationally. Preferred Qualifications :
- Have basic knowledge of mechanical systems, control systems,
- Desired scripting knowledge with languages such as: Python,
Mel, C, C++
- Experience with Kuka robotics
- Desired knowledge of Tait Navigator software
- Experience with motion-capture tools and processes
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine and/or Unity, Z-Brush and
Solidworks Required Education :
- High School Diploma Preferred Education :
- Two-year Electronics Degree or, BA or BFA in Traditional
Animation, Computer Animation, Game Development or, BS in
automation control systems programming, or equivalents. OR
- Demonstrate multiple years of on-the-job experience and
training in real-world industrial automation, or animation roles,
as indicated above. Disney offers a rewards package to help you
live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits,
educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can
provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at . About Walt
Disney Imagineering:Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design
and build the world's first theme park - Disneyland - Walt Disney
Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with
cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is
the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney
theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide.
Imagineering's unique strength comes from its diverse global team
of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney's
legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The
Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work
in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from
"blue sky" concept phase to opening day.About The Walt Disney
Company:The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and
affiliates, is a leading diversified international family
entertainment and media enterprise with the following business
segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment,
consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as
a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the
entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy
of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of
the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach
consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With
operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast
members work together to create entertainment experiences that are
both universally and locally cherished.This position is with WDI
(Walt Disney Imagineering).WDI is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney
fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all
people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be
relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Keywords: Walt Disney Imagineering, Detroit , Principal Show Programmer, IT / Software / Systems , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!