Park Maintenance Sub Foreman
Company: City of Detroit
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Under general supervision, supervises a small group of workers
engaged in the more skilled ground maintenance activities, or to
have charge of a moderately large group of workers maintaining
grounds in and around parks and recreation areas and other
Examples of Duties
- Supervises and leads a crew of workers engaged in ground
- Assumes the duties of the superior in their absence.
- Consults with supervisors about crew assignments.
- Picks up debris and mows lawns.
- Seeds, sods, fertilizes and waters grass areas.
- Plants, removes, sprays and mulches trees, shrubs and
- Repairs concrete and asphalt hard surfaces.
- Coordinates equipment for special events.
- Prepares, paints and makes minor repairs to park and playground
- Marks athletic fields.
- Erects and dismantles structures, bleachers and stands.
- Cleans catch basins, wading pools and canals.
- Mixes and applies weed eradication chemicals.
- Removes snow and salts icy areas.
- Loads and unloads supplies and equipment.
- Performs, individually, the more skilled tasks involved in
ground maintenance activities.
- Inspects work in progress and upon completion.
- Performs minor repairs on equipment and tools as needed.
- Operates trucks, tractors or similar equipment utilized for
moving equipment and personnel to locations.
- Prepares records on activities.
- Performs duties in accordance with Departmental safety
procedures including, but not limited to, the utilization of
designated personal protective equipment and ensures proper safety
precautions are taken, in accordance with MIOSHA standards.
High school graduation or G.E.D.
Two years of experience in ground maintenance work including one
year which has been in a supervisory capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of tools, materials, and equipment used in ground
maintenance and landscaping work.
- Knowledge of department work safety standards.
- Skill in supervising, organizing, and directing the work of
- Skill inmechanical dexterity.
- Skill inphysical strength and endurance.
- Skill in tactful interaction with subordinates, the public, and
- Ability to prepare basic reports.
- Ability to drive and operate trucks and other motorized
equipment used in ground maintenance.
- Ability touse a personal computer and common office
- Ability to display initiative and resourcefulness in the
performance of duties.
Licenses, Certifications, and Other Special Requirements:
- Valid State of Michigan OperatorsLicense.
- Employees in this class must obtain a valid State of Michigan
Commercial Pesticide Applicator
Certification with Category 6 within six months of being hired
into the position.
- Candidates considered for placement in this classification may
be subject to a Criminal Background Investigation based on the
requirements of the position.
Work involves frequent bending, lifting, and operating of a
variety of heavy landscaping and ground maintenance equipment.
Work is typically performed outdoors with exposure to seasonal
weather conditions. Employees in this class are required to wear
appropriate safety attire in accordance with departmental and
MIOSHA safety regulations.
- Evaluation of Training, Experience &Personal
- Total of Interview and Evaluation T.E.P:100%
Additional points may be awarded for:
- Veteran Points: 0 - 15 points
- Detroit Residency Credit: 15 point
Keywords: City of Detroit, Detroit , Park Maintenance Sub Foreman, Other , Detroit, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!