Company: McLaren Health Care
Location: Mount Clemens
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Dept: Reference Lab
Schedule: 8 am to 4:30 pm
Hours per pay period: 80
The Laboratory Aide performs all specimen collection by
phlebotomy from the correct individual at in-house or off-site
locations. In addition, obtains other specimens when indicated, and
instructs patients in the collection of specimens as necessary. May
be required to enter Pathology specimens into various computerized
information systems along with the preparation and staining of
Cytology specimens. Performs tasks in all laboratory areas under
the direction of the appropriate Supervisor, Clinical Laboratory
Technologists, Cytotechnologists or other designated laboratory
personnel and has appropriate knowledge of those areas so as to be
able to function as necessary.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Performs Phlebotomy procedures according to established
protocol and in a manner consistent with the request, priority, and
patient focus in order that the department receives quality
- Will collect and return specimens from outside collection
facilities as designated, these may be clinics, Nursing Homes, draw
stations and Home collection.
- Courier outreach lab aide - registering, drawing, preparing
specimens for pickup. Rotating through 6 off-site
- Assist in the processing of courier specimens in computer
including Pathology specimens.
- Prepare and stain Cytology specimens both GYN and non-GYN for
evaluation by Cytotechnologists.
C. Laboratory Specimen Processing
- Pneumatic Tube system: Respond to unloading laboratory
specimens arriving via tube system or hand delivered.
- Specimen handling and conveyance: Sort, inspect (specimen
integrity), centrifugation, archiving, and distribute specimens to
testing areas according to priority, testing times, sample types
and, specimen volumes to optimize process, efficiencies and
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess valid Michigan Driver's License and be insurable
under the hospital insurance program
- Certification of completion from an approved phlebotomy/medical
assistant program OR have a minimum of six months prior work
experience drawing blood.
- One year of experience drawing blood
- Completion of an approved phlebotomy program, medical assistant
school or 6 months prior phlebotomy/medical assistant
Equal Opportunity Employer of
Keywords: McLaren Health Care, Detroit , Laboratory Assistant, Other , Mount Clemens, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!