Company: VIA Motors
Location: Auburn Hills
Posted on: August 7, 2022
COMPANY DESCRIPTION:VIA Motors is a core team of specialists,
engineers, and innovators. With a passion for sustainability and a
drive to innovate, we are transforming the commercial fleet and
last-mile delivery industries and in doing so, changing the world
along the way.
With our industry-leading technology, we work closely with our
customers to create custom solutions that meet their unique fleet
requirements. An electrified fleet will not only allow companies to
meet existing and future emissions requirements, but will also
reduce pollution, cut operating costs, and create healthier
POSITION SUMMARY:VIA Motors is looking for a highly experienced
automotive Mechanical Designer to join our EE Team. This is your
opportunity to join our growing team and be involved at the
forefront of electric and hybrid-electric vehicle technology
RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- We are seeking to the Mechanical Designer (HV/LV)across a
variety for various sub-systems (Infotainment, Driver controls,
switches, LV wiring, HV wiring, ECUs, ADAS sub-systems, and safety
/ restraint systems).
- The role will lead all the mechanical designs for all
Electrical ECUs, Sensors, Fuses, Relays etc.
- Designer will help and support wiring harness routing for LV/HV
- The scope covers all phases of the Vehicle Development Process
(Pre-Phase 0; Electrical Architecture Definition (requirement
development and de-composition, electrical architecture,
communication protocols, module definition/requirements, vehicle to
sub-system and sub-system to sub-system interface development,
physical integration, RFP generation, technical support of sourcing
activities (Supplier Identification, balancing of requirements),
eBOM/ Product Design/Release; APQP Approval; Part Production;
Vehicle Volume Launch.The successful candidate:
- Will design and release Brackets, Fasteners for all EE LV/HV
- Package electrical modules, sensors, Relays, including
- Work closely with EE DREs, suppliers and other teams to
understand the need and design and package all EE components
- Own all of the mechanical design and development related to EE
department from start to finish, starting with supplier discussion
(quoting) to development, BOM release, DFMEA, DVP&R
- Support testing and validation teams with mechanical aspects of
- Provide recommendations and negotiate with suppliers in all
areas of mechanical design and development
- Will be involved at all steps of the System design V-cycle
(Vehicle Development Process)
- Ability to work / lead requirements elicitation, analysis and
decomposition following a top-down System design approach (realized
through Model-Based Systems Engineering) and integrating their deep
experience-based requirement definition into the process.
- Ability to work in a highly leveraged, cross functional team
with internal and supplier partner engineers.
- Will work closely and coordinate with the VIA Controls team and
the LV/HV Electrical Architecture System Engineer.
- Will Interact with technical partners, customers and suppliers
as needed (expected to lead Supplier interaction in a leveraged
Tier 1-2 partnership).
- Will actively and diligently document work activities within
VIA's Product Lifecycle Management tool.
- Will peer-review their work within the team.
- The successful candidate will be expected to review the work of
- Will work within a well-defined process, and participate in
process improvement activities including toolchain procurement,
evaluation, selection, and deployment.
- Will actively contribute to knowledge sharing within the
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related engineering
discipline (Electrical, System, Mechatronics, Mechanical,
- 5+ years of relevant experience with OEM (Automotive) or Tier 1
- 5+ years of experience across relevant Mechanical and
electrical components and sub-systems.
- Relevant experience from Pre-Phase 0 thru Volume
- Experienced and familiar with:
- CAD tools (AutoDesk, SolidWorks, Catia, UniGraphics)
- BOM Management
- Timing Management
- Exposure to FEA tools and ability to interpret strength and
- Deep industry knowledge / Benchmarked / BIC Infotainment
Systems_ LV Electrical Architecture across all BOM rows
- APQP processes
- Sourcing / Contract negotiations
- Leading Design Release Engineering Team from concept thru
- Experience with MBSE tools (e.g., Catia Magic Cyber, Cameo
Systems Modeler, etc.) an asset
- Experience with communication protocols (e.g., J1939, UDS ISO
14229/15765, OBD ISO 15031, etc.) an asset
- Experience working within a tightly revision-controlled
environment (using a version control tool such as Subversion or
git) an asset
- Experience with a Requirements Management tool (e.g., Rational
DOORS, PTC Integrity, Visure Requirements, etc.) an asset
- Familiarity with measurement and calibration tools such as
INCA, ATI, etc.
- Strong ability to work in a leveraged, multi-company Vehicle
- Excellent problem solving, leadership, and interpersonal
- Team player who is easy to work with.
- Comfortable with dynamic, quick paced work environment.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; ability to identify roadblocks and
develop work arounds and solutions to keep team moving forward.
- Excellent written and oral communicator
- Combination of big picture understanding and vision with
outstanding attention to detail.
- Problem solver with strong analytical skills - comfortable with
both theoretical and practical issues
- Able to work independently and within a team.
- Strong ability to document work.
- Able to prioritize tasks effectively and to communicate
roadblocks promptly to management within a fast-paced environment
where project / team priorities may shift.
- A curious person who stays abreast of the latest techniques and
- High degree of discretion dealing with confidential
- This role is expected to be located in SE Michigan; with the
expectation of ability and willingness to travel within US and
Internationally as required to interact with partners and
BENEFITS OVERVIEW:Our comprehensive compensation plan includes, the
following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days and holidays.
- Healthcare, dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover
you and your family
- 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement
VIA Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an
affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment
opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex,
national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status,
disability, gender identity or Veteran status to all.
VIA Motors Participates in E-Verify
VIA Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward
resumes to our jobs alias, VIA Motors employees or any other
organization location. VIA Motors is not responsible for any fees
related to unsolicited resumes.
Keywords: VIA Motors, Detroit , Mechanical Designer, Other , Auburn Hills, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!