Outside Mortgage Loan Officer
Company: Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union
Posted on: February 15, 2019
Founded by a small group of educators, Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union (MSGCU) has been providing quality financial services to the community for more than 60 years. Following our mission of being a caring organization dedicated to promoting financial success for our members, we have grown to be the 6th largest Credit Union in Michigan. With 14 offices in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne Counties, MSGCU has more than 325 team members, 125,000 members, $2 billion in assets, and has earned a 97% member satisfaction rating for the past ten years. We have also been honored as a Top Workplace by The Detroit Free Press six years in a row. If you have a passion for helping people and providing exceptional and dependable service, we want you on our team! Overall Responsibilities: Meets established loan quality and production goals by proactively soliciting new external first mortgage loans through activity based outside sales initiatives that build productive, long lasting relationships. This position is customarily and regularly performed outside of an office setting. Space will be available at branches in the MSGCU footprint as well as our Troy location where the Mortgage Lending team is housed. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively and persistently networks to generate leads that result in new mortgage loans. Uses activity based selling strategy with external contacts including realtors, builders, and established client base in order to meet production expectations and provide prompt and professional service.
- Originates quality loans by taking accurate and complete loan applications including collecting, examining, and evaluating borrowers financial and personal information, asking high impact questions, and recommending appropriate lending products to meet borrowers needs. Adheres to federal and state regulations; secondary market; and MSGCU policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Communicates policies for extension of credit in accordance with MSGCU and investor guidelines and discusses loan alternatives, credit criteria, and interest rates to provide a complete submission.
- Performs follow-up work as necessary to achieve conditional approval within established time frames.
- Communicates effectively with borrowers, members, and other outside stakeholders to update them on loan status, timelines, and any loan closing provisions.
- Documents follow up on cancelled appointments/applications and pre-approval applications.
- Attends purchase closing transactions to network with realtors and further develop relationships.
- Adheres to MSGCU service level expectations including assisting the Mortgage Department and serving as a backup as needed.
- Solicits referrals through superior knowledge and enthusiastic endorsement of MSGCU products and services. Refers parties interested in MSGCU products and services to the appropriate MSGCU department.
- Adheres to MSGCU service level agreements. Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Member Focus: Uses knowledge of business drivers, the competitive landscape, and trends in the marketplace to build strong relationships (internal/external), deliver excellent service, and mortgage lending solutions for MSGCU members and potential members.
- Action Oriented: Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency and enthusiasm. Possesses strong organization and time management skills. Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments in alignment with organizational goals including breaking down goals into appropriate initiatives and actions and anticipating and adjusting effective contingency plans.
- Drives Results: Strong bottom-line orientation, consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Consistently adheres to all MSGCU quality expectations.
- Builds Networks: Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization across a variety of functions and locations. Develops constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintains relationships over time.
- Communicates Effectively: Develops and delivers communications (verbal, written, presentation) that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.Relates comfortably with people across levels, functions, culture, and locations.
- Persuades: Shares mortgage options in a compelling manner to help borrowers see the value of our offerings as compared to others in the market. Encourages referrals.
- Instills Trust: Builds relationships and gains the confidence of others by modeling honesty, integrity, authenticity, and behaviors that align with organizational values. Exemplifies courage by stepping up to address difficult issues.
- Self-Awareness: Uses a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses. Actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged using formal and informal development channels.
- Situational Adaptability: Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Thorough knowledge of MSGCU products and services so that features and benefits can effectively be explained to others.
- Proficient with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), and ability to operate standard office equipment. Proficiency in Encompass POS and LOS preferred.
- Familiarity with mortgage underwriting, pricing, and operational requirements as well as applicable mortgage lending regulations.
- Must possess a valid drivers license and be able to travel within MSGCUs service area. Essential Preparation and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and
- 2 years of current mortgage banking origination experience required. FHA lending experience preferred.
- The ideal candidate will possess a current book of business with established business relationships and CRM or other relationship tool experience.
- NMLS (Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System) licensure and registration is required. Working Conditions:
- Environment generally good, with little discomfort from noise, extreme temperature, dust or other factors.
- Required to travel throughout MSGCUs service area to consult with and provide service to external contacts most of the time. Team member to provide own transportation with eligibility for on-the-job mileage reimbursement.
- Exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, such as robbery. Receives detailed instructions and security procedures on an annual basis to minimize risk.
- This work involves sitting most of the time with brief periods of walking or standing and may occasionally require lifting and/or moving up to 20 pounds.
Keywords: Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union, Detroit , Outside Mortgage Loan Officer, Other , Troy, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!