Company: Ascension (System Office)
Location: Madison Heights
Posted on: May 7, 2021
We Are Hiring:
Pharmacy Technician Inpatient- Full Time- Rotating Shift-Ascension
Oakland Hospital Madison Heights, MI
This is a collective bargaining agreement union position.
What We Offer You
* Competitive compensation
* Professional development
* Wellbeing programs and holistic growth opportunities
* Work-life balance through generous paid time off
* Tuition reimbursement
* Adoption assistance
* Medical, dental, vision and retirement match
What You Will Do:
Under close supervision of a pharmacist, the pharmacy technician
performs various functions associated with the dispensing of
prescriptions and pharmaceutical supplies, including processing
patient and interdepartmental charges, processing requests for
products from pharmacy inventory,
IVPB and LV preparation, and providing delivery or messenger
services. Serve as a liaison between the staff/public and pharmacy
services through contacts with staff/public to convey and receive
information to maintain patient care.
* Review prescription label and fills the order accurately.
* Compute and compile charges for prescription and pharmaceutical
* Prepare nursing unit stock supply as requested.
* Order (place items needed on the want book) and maintain
sufficient inventory of pharmaceutical supplies in all dispensing
areas and notification to responsible people when reorder levels
* Serve as liaison between department, public and the hospital by
conferring with individuals both personally and over the telephone
to resolve problems and respond to questions.
* Compound IVs according to department specifications, including
large volume parenterals, piggyback medications, and adults hyper
* Operate the computers to generate needed labels, reports, MARs,
and any other printing as needed.
* Responsible for maintenance of all equipment and clean work area,
documentation where needed for quality assurance, preparation of
unit dose carts for delivery to nursing units, delivery of IV and
unit dose carts to nursing units and preparation of medication in
unit of use packages when necessary.
* Assist with the training and education of new personnel.
* The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and
skill necessary to provide the care appropriate to the age of the
patient served in their assigned area. Possess the ability to
assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the
appropriate information relative to the patients age-specific needs
and provide care needed, including but not limited to principles of
development, psychological needs, physiological needs, etc., as
described in the policies and procedures manual.
* Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Demonstrate the ability to sort and file medication orders and
dispensing records. Alphabetizing and reading and writing skills
* Demonstrate verbal and phone communication skills (good diction
and pronunciation of the English language and drug names) for
customer relations and relaying messages.
* Demonstrate thorough knowledge of drug names (brand and generic
terms), medical and prescription abbreviations, pharmaceutical
calculations and military time to be able to read and process
* Demonstrate thorough knowledge of aseptic technique and safe
handling of antimicrobials and biologicals.
* Demonstrate manual dexterity and grip strength to safely perform
complicated manipulation of sterile products.
* Other physical activities that may be required include carrying,
some heavy lifting (up to 40 lbs.), standing, walking, bending,
stooping, reaching, writing, talking and visual acuity to be able
to read fine print (labels, expiration dating, and syringe
* Demonstrate the ability to operate the telephone, fax machine,
personal computer, typewriter, calculator, packaging equipment,
automated dispensing equipment and pneumatic tube system.
* Demonstrate the ability to follow oral and written instructions
with accuracy, speed and dependability.
* Must be able to take direction from pharmacists and refer
clinical issues appropriately.
* Ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in
workload and work schedule.
* Ability to assist in meeting the pharmaceutical care needs of
neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
What You Will Need:
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
* Licensed Pharmacy Tech credentialed from the Michigan Department
of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) obtained prior to hire
date or job transfer date required.
* High School graduate or equivalent is required.
* Community college, vocational school or formalized hospital
pharmacy technician training (or related work experience)
* Personal computer or mainframe order entry experience
No additional preferences.
Why Join Our Team:
Ascension Michigan employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers
across 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities.
Our care teams are dedicated to providing spiritually centered,
holistic care which sustains and improves the health of the
communities we serve. We provide generous paid time off for
work-life balance, a collaborative work environment, professional
development opportunities and more to help our associates flourish
personally and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding
career in healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to
transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As
one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the
U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate,
personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4
billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community
benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates
and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of
ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites
of care - including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living
facilities - in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
Ascension SE Michigan is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and
Affirmative Action employer. Associates and Applicants receive fair
and impartial consideration without regard to race, color,
religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation,
age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data,
or other legally protected status.
Pay Non-Discrimination Notice:
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the
following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to
individuals who have applied for a position using our official
application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of
employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment
Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more
Right to Work
Keywords: Ascension (System Office), Detroit , Pharmacy Technician, Professions , Madison Heights, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!